Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ohm's and Kirkenoff's Law

Ohm's Law

This law explains the relationships between Resistance (R), Current (I), Power (P), Voltage (V).
Resistance (R) is measured in Ohms. Resistance along a conductor depends on 4 things, length, cross-sectional area, the material is is made of, and it's temperature.
It states that in a conductor, the direct current (I) that flows between its ends are proportional to the potential difference (V). The amount of voltage (potential difference) and the current are proportional as long as certain variables are controlled, such as temperature. For a certain voltage, is there is a higher resistance, there will be a lower current flow.
A formula that is used for Ohm's is: Resistance (R) = Voltage (V)/Current (I)
There is 1 ohm of resistance when 1 ampere of current that has 1 voltage flows through a resistor.
With this triangle, you can simply find the formula you need.

Kirchoff's' Laws

Kirchoff''s current law (textbook) : The total amount of current into a junction point of a circuit equals the total current that flows out of that same junction.

  


Kirchoff''s voltage law (textbook) : The total of all electrical potential decreases in any complete circuit loop is equal to any potential increases in that circuit loop.
The total voltage lost through the circuit is equal to the original total voltage.

For a Series Circuit:
IT= I1= I2= I3= I4=...IN
VT= V1 +V2+V3+ V4+...VN
RT= R1+R2+R3+R4+...RN

For a Parallel Circuit:
IT= IT+I1+I2+I3+I4+...IN
VT= V1= V2= V3= V4=...VN
RT= 1/R1+ 1/R2 + 1/R3+ 1/R4+...1/RN

No comments:

Post a Comment